Scarborough Town Hall
The building that originally stood on this site was 22 Long Room Street (renamed St Nicholas Street in 1844). The house was the home of John Woodall, a member of a prosperous and influential Scarborough family, whose connections with the town date back to the 17th century. One of the family businesses, Woodall’s Bank, stood on the corner of St Nicholas Street until it was acquired by Barclays Bank in 1896.
A portrait of John Woodall is hanging in the Committee Room. In 1844, John Woodall had the house demolished and replaced by an impressive red-brick mansion named St Nicholas House. The building was designed by Henry Wyatt who displayed the design at the Royal Academy in 1852. The style of the house is Jacobean. There are two storeys and an attic , all in red brick with stone dressings, plinth, string courses, cornice and parapet. In 1898, John Woodall’s son, John W Woodall, whose portrait hangs in the entrance foyer, and who had inherited the property on the death of his father in 1879, offered St Nicholas House to the Corporation, who purchased the building for £33,575.